Thursday, September 1, 2011

Moving Day.

Our cat all packed and ready to go.

So we finally moved! I'm still unpacking at the new place. I was lucky to get this whole week off because the boys I nanny are away visiting their grandparents. Being able to dedicate all my time this week to packing, cleaning and moving was great.

Packing was the worst part. I usually don't mind it. Since I move on average once a year I'm used to packing and the organizer in me actually enjoys placing things in their appropriate boxes. But this time sucked. I'm too big to be bending over every few seconds. Having to squat instead of just bend was physically draining, as was the heat!

I love summer, I love the heat and I love all the activities that come with summer. But since I can't float on my air mattress with a beer in my hand this summer has been a write-off for me. And the apartment was stifling on the days I had to pack which exhausted me further.

By the day before the move I was starting to feel pretty bad and I was afraid I may have pushed myself too far and might start labour early. Luckily my mom came to the rescue and not only helped on moving day but also took the next day off to help me clean the old apartment and shop for the new place.

Everyone warned us that we should move earlier in the pregnancy but that wasn't an option for us. We had neither the money nor the time to move earlier. So if you are moving into a new nest just before the baby is due I have a little advice:

Hire movers. J and I couldn't afford a real moving crew but we did shell out $160 for a rental truck to get everything in one load. And I was lucky that my father donated some of his workers for the day. Even if you're on a tight budget try to stash a little money every month before the move to get yourself some extra help. Even if the savings are only enough to bribe friends.

Don't carry boxes. Make the decision that an extra person is needed to replace the pregnant lady. Let the others struggle with the heavy things and focus your efforts on carrying light things, packing last minute pieces and cleaning up as the rooms empty. Drink lots of water and stop to put your feet up as often as you need. This is not the time to prove you can carry as much as the boys.

Plan ahead. Have a layout of the new place in mind and have at least a general idea of where the big pieces of furniture are going to go. That way you won't realize a dresser should be in the other bedroom after your movers have departed. Obviously packing boxes for their designated room is a good idea too. If you toss random things into boxes at the old place you'll regret it at the new place when every item you unpack requires a walk to the other side of the house.

Have an unpack friend. I love unpacking, deciding where everything should go and putting it all away. Usually I prefer to do this all by myself, but it's not as easy when you're preggers. Even if you have the energy to unpack all day, you might not be able to reach high shelves, low shelves or shuffle boxes and furniture around. You can still decide where everything should go but unpacking will be less exhausting (and safer) if you let a friend put away the heavy bits.

Pack snacks. Have a little box just for moving day that has drinks and snacks in it. It's easy to forget to eat when you're rushing to get everything done. But you will keep your energy up and will last longer if you stop to eat and drink as needed. Whenever I move I plan a lunch hour for myself and the movers into the day. Everyone likes knowing that there is enough time between emptying the old place and filling the new place to stop for lunch. Having food on hand will not only please you and the baby, it'll take a little of the load off the people who are doing the lifting.

Finally, Choose a happy nest. Unless you're rolling in dough you'll never get everything you want in a place so make sure you choose the very best option for your needs. This is a given on any move but having a home you love (or at least really like) will be even more important when you're stuck indoors with a screaming infant. Decide ahead of time what features will make your quality of life better. This may be the time to realize that having a washer and dryer is better than having an ornate spiral staircase. Or maybe having a great view will keep you more sane than having a Starbucks next door will. Everyone is different. Think about what will ease your burdens the most. You will likely be spending more time at home than ever before. I knew what I wanted to make the next year or so as easy on us as possible and I only looked at places that had what we wanted.

No comments:

Post a Comment