Sunday, October 9, 2011

The Nursery.


Well it's only a matter of weeks (or maybe days) until Baby arrives and finally I think the nursery is complete. I originally had a whole different room in mind with a specific theme and specific items that I wanted to purchase. One of which was a full wall mural. However since we may not be living in this apartment for very long I decided to hold off on my grand design until Baby has a room that she will stay in for awhile. I was a little disappointed to not decorate how I had planned but I think the room turned out pretty cute anyway. Here are some pics of the nursery now:


The changing table and bookshelf are from IKEA. Neither are from the kid's section. I knew that there wouldn't be enough room for a dresser and a changing table so I chose to purchase a regular dresser and place a changing pad on top. The shelving therefore needed to be right beside the changing table to hold the diapers, cream etc. because it would be too awkward to reach those items while changing Baby if they were in a drawer below.


Here is the crib which I scored on sale. If you've read my previous post on the hassle I went through when buying it then you understand how happy I am to have it all set up now. The quilt is a beautiful hand-made gift from my recent boss, Stacey Murton. It works perfectly in the room.

I bought the tree wall decal at TJ's Kids in Vancouver. It was simple to put up and peels off without damaging the walls. This was the consolation purchase to not installing the full wall mural that I really wanted for her room. I was a little worried about placing the decal over her crib. I thought that maybe when she can stand up she would peel it off and eat it. But since we might not live here that long, or she might not be that curious I decided to just go for it. Obviously if you are placing peel-off stickers on the wall near the crib you need to make sure no pieces make their way into the crib where they could become a choking hazard.


All of the furniture except for the glider and ottoman are white. I wanted a sleek clean look, but because the glider will likely outlast the baby stuff and may end up in another room later so it seemed more fitting to go with a more adult espresso.


I think the lampshade is too much and should be exchanged for one in a solid colour.


STORAGE:

I actually thought that we would be able to use her closet for our things. After all, how much room can teeny tiny clothes take up? HAHAHAHA. Her closet is filled! In order to store all the clothes that she will grow into over the next year I stole two old narrow dressers from my parent's storage unit. It doesn't matter that they aren't pretty since I put them inside the closet.


I then bought some number stickers and labelled the drawers according to what size clothes are inside. Three to six months, seven to nine months etc.


The sleepers, onesies, hats, mitts, booties, socks and hair bands that she will be using for the first three months are stored in compartments in the changing table drawers. These white fabric organizers are available at IKEA and are great for sorting little items.




I found this bright green woven basket at HomeSense and it makes a perfect toy box.


LIGHTING:

Again from IKEA, although you can't get this one anymore. I bought this wall-mounted light for myself a few years ago and when I redecorated and didn't want to use it anymore I saved it in case I got the chance to put it in a baby room. I love it, it's really pretty, the coloured glass casts a nice soft glow and it matches the room perfectly.


A few years ago I was nannying a baby that had one of these in his nursery. It's a Moon In My Room, made by Uncle Milton. It's three dimensional (not flat like it appears in this pic) and it lights up and looks just like the real moon. It has different settings so baby can enjoy a full moon or any of its lunar phases. It automatically turns off after about 20 minutes and it has a remote control so I can open the door and turn it back on without coming in and disturbing baby, or an older child can turn it on without getting out of bed. I love this product. I bought it back in the day and saved it for my baby in case Uncle Milton stopped making it, which they haven't.

WALLS:



Aside from the big tree decal that I put up beside the crib I also found this one a few months ago at Army and Navy for about $3. I don't like birds in cages but this is OK because the bird is on the outside of the cage...also, it's not a real bird.



Another item that I saved for years. This was mine when I was little and I kept it safe in storage to use if I had a baby girl. Well, years (and years) later I am having a baby girl so it was rescued from storage. The frog prince is also a saved stuffy from my childhood.


And that's it. For now I'm just sitting at home and waiting for the big day. Any minute now...

No comments:

Post a Comment