Sunday, July 24, 2011

Shhhh. Can You Hear That?


I had lunch and a fun visit with a friend and her new baby the other day. And among the many things she packed up for us to use was a Graco Prenatal Heart Listener.

The hand-held device is similar to the Doppler equipment that a medical caregiver uses to hear the baby but it is not Doppler. It just magnifies the sounds within the womb when held to the tummy.

The instructions say that a woman must be in her third trimester before the heartbeat is strong enough to be picked up by the mic. I still have another week to go before I am in the third trimester and I haven't yet been able to find the heartbeat with the listener.

Still, I can hear fluids rushing through the placenta and when baby moves I can hear it. I'm hoping I will hear the heartbeat soon and can then use the listener to calm my fears when I don't feel movement for awhile.

In the meantime I've been checking on my own heartbeat and the heartbeat of my cat. We are both in good health.

No comments:

Post a Comment