Sunday, February 26, 2012

Just Sharing: The Yellow Wallpaper.

Photo courtesy of: isabel@isabeltalsma.com and deviantart.com


I thought that as a side note to my recent post about Postpartum Depression I would link to a great short story about the topic.

Charlotte Perkins Gilman wrote The Yellow Wallpaper in 1891 after suffering herself from depression. After seeking advice from a physician she was told to, "live as domestic a life as far as possible," to "have but two hours' intellectual life a day," and "never to touch pen, brush, or pencil again" as long as I lived". The cure, known as "the rest cure" drove her crazy. Gilman said that she "came so near the borderline of utter mental ruin that I could see over".

It's a great story and I hope you'll give it a read if you never have before - and of course if you ever find the time.

The story is a little disturbing but as Gilman put it, "It was not intended to drive people crazy, but to save people from being driven crazy".

Here is the link to the story but if it fails you can always find it somewhere online.

No comments:

Post a Comment