Saturday, February 18, 2012

Seashell Slide Decoration.

One of my favorite things to do in the summer is low tide walks on Hornby Island. I like finding Moon Snail shells at the edge of the water. The broken ones are cool because the inside spiral is so smooth and shiny. I imagine they are tiny slides for tiny sea creatures. When I was pregnant I put one aside to make an ornament for Babe.

I was originally going to use Guatemalan Worry Dolls for the children on the ornament but while hunting for some in my favorite antique/junk store I also found these little white angels.


I had envisioned a mexican style ornament with the worry dolls. But I couldn't find any dolls that had outfits that resembled bathing suits so I decided to just paint the angels. And rip off their wings. I hope breaking the wings off plastic angels isn't terrible karma.


I painted bathing suits on the no-longer-angels and painted water down the middle of the slide (inside of the shell).


I then painted some flat toothpicks brown and broke them into tiny pieces to make the ladder, which I glued on the side.


I finished it up by threading some string through the center, gluing the children onto the slide and hanging a teardrop bead off the bottom.


It's a cute ornament for Babe's bedroom, Christmas tree or whatever and it was super easy to make.

2 comments:

  1. Every time you rip an angels wings off a fairy drops down dead, but its worth it to make that Seashell decoration!

    ReplyDelete