Thursday, February 16, 2012

Best Buys: stuff we like.



So Babe is now three and a half months old and I thought I would just quickly make a post about some of our best buys i.e. things that have saved us at some point so far.

Toys.

This is Mr. Rat a tat tat. Babe loves him, I don't know why. We get a lot of strange looks when we're out for our walks with him. People don't think a rat is a very cute baby toy, but Babe doesn't care. I got it at Ikea for under five dollars.




Nature Bear. I think it's actually called Fisher Price Peaceful Planet Soothing Sounds Bear, but I call him Nature Bear. I bought this bear almost 10 years ago for the baby I knew I would have one day. I'm not sure if it is still available but I know most toy stores sell a version called a Sleep Sheep which comes in a travel size as well. Both are great. Nature Bear also has a little light on his tummy which completely mesmerizes Babe.


The Lamaze caterpillar is a big hit with Babe. She can stare at it for ever and loves to suck on his legs. He plays music, rattles, crinkles and has different fabric colours and textures. And on the flip side are measurements like a yard stick. I also use it to prop Babe on her side when she is laying down. I think they are about $25.00, not sure.


Toys on a string that vibrate when pulled. Babe loves them and they are pretty cheap. Possibly the best buy yet. Babe used to hate the car and having someone sitting in the back with her pulling on the vibrating toys was the only way to keep her quiet. This bee was $9.00 and worth every penny.



Books. Hard. Cardboard. Books. We read to Babe every night and she really enjoys it. These baby books are always on special at local bookstores.



Bedroom.

I wouldn't get any sleep without our Angel Care monitor. The monitor has a sensor pad that lays under the mattress and senses Babe's nocturnal movements. If she stops breathing the alarm on the monitor sounds. For a paranoid mom like me the monitor lets me sleep in peace. Some people say these types of monitors are more trouble than they are worth because they sometimes sound false alarms. I haven't had a false alarm yet. And for me I'd rather have a few false scares than the alternative. I nannied for a family that had one a few years ago and ever since then I swore that I would buy one when I had a baby. Absolutely wouldn't trade it in for a regular monitor. It's expensive though - I paid $150.00.

Also the frog. It's the cheaper version of the Twilight Turtle. I can't remember what company makes this but I bought it at Walmart. It plays music, nature sounds and a heartbeat/white noise sound. And it also projects stars onto the ceiling. Babe loves the white noise option and watching the stars. It turns itself off after about 10 minutes. It cost usabout $25.00.





The Arm's Reach Co-Sleeper. After the first few weeks Babe wouldn't sleep in her bassinet or her crib. She would only sleep beside me. While I loved having her close I couldn't use the Angel Care monitor I mentioned above if we were sleeping in the same bed. Plus I didn't sleep as soundly if she was in bed with me because I was worried about smothering her. So I searched Craigslist and found a family that was selling their co-sleeper. It's the best. Babe thinks she is in bed with me but being on her own surface allows me to use the sensor pad. She is still close enough to reach out and touch or roll over and feed in the middle of the night. And if I have to pick her up and bring her into bed with me I can do so without disturbing her too much. It also saved us space because there wasn't enough room for three of us in the same bed. I loooove this thing. Babe hardly sleeps as it is and my life would be crap without it. It also converts into a playpen. I bought mine used but I think they are about $200.00 new. Prices vary by model.







Babe looooooves this Fisher Price Ocean Wonders Aquarium. It attaches to the side of her crib, plays music and water sounds, lights up and the fish swim. It's really soothing and Babe can stare at it for quite awhile. Even though she isn't sleeping in her crib yet I do use it as a safe place/playpen during the day and the aquarium buys me time to make lunch, throw in some laundry etc. Definitely a good buy, especially since ours was a gift. I think they run about $60.00.





The Butterfly Baby Head Support Pillow is an Anti-Pressure Pillow and was a gift from friends. We actually don't use it in Babe's bed but we do put it under her head during the day when she is laying around on the couch or the floor. It's supposed to decrease the pressure on the back of baby's head which helps to keep that pesky flat spot away. Hey whatever works. My doctor told me we only have the first five months to keep Babe from getting a flat spot and that if she got one the special helmet or whatever that fixes it costs $5000.00! I'm sticking with the pillow. Again, I don't know that it is safe for sleeping. Babe doesn't use it at night. I don't know what it costs.





That's it for now. In another few months I'll post our new favorite items.

2 comments:

  1. We have one of the aquariums as well but the baby einstein one. Baby loves hers too! Mesmerized by it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hay you get to use Nature bear....... All three of my kids love it.....

    ReplyDelete